Monday, September 12, 2011

Your life's lens

It's that time of year when schedules ramp up again, the evenings bid adieu to balmy and welcome crisp cool breezes and football dominates the weekend. For some..the routine of school and homework and activities begins a hum in their homes that requires more discipline and planning. This time of year leaves me a bit reluctant to move in the direction of marching time.I love the slower, longer, lazy days of summer. Ah but I also love to see the subtle signs of the seasons changing and as much as I love the freedom of summer I also desperately need the structure that routine brings. We no longer have school age children with all the structure that brings. The schedule changes in our home involve our commitments to some small groups. One a group of couples from our church, gathering to dig deeper into God's word and walk through life together. The other a group of ladies, walking through life after 40 together, sharing wisdom, laughter and the challenges and joys of this season of life that we share. No matter what our schedules demand though, it is certain that we don't live in a bubble. There is opportunity for relationship around every corner.I wonder if we see all of the additions to our schedules as commitments and obligations or as opportunities...for new friendships, deepening friendships,divine appointments set by our Creator to accomplish His purposes. As I have been reading Ann Voskamps "one thousand gifts" I've been challenged to see the gifts around me. My eyes are open to things I might have otherwise overlooked.In order to see this way I have to slow down,engage in every moment, every person, every opportunity. That process seemingly conflicts with the faster pace and schedules that comes with this season or at least makes it really difficult. It occurs to me though that it's not really a matter of time but rather a matter of the lens that I look through. If I attempt to view the world without my glasses,I' I don't see very accurately. If I view my life as I walk through it without the lens of God's word,I miss the things He wants me to see. If I fill my schedule before I seek His direction, I may be so busy with activity that I miss the gifts He has for me. Some of the gifts He gave me this weekend Direction from 2 wise, Godly leaders A budding friendship with a couple that we will be walking in ministry with A precious conversation with an Aunt and Uncle Dinner with 6 likeminded women..precious conversation 3 generations just hanging out together Evidence of a sweet relationship between 2 sisters The touch,time and words of a faithful, loving husband What does He have before you today? This week? Don't just mark them off your to do list...start a new list...collecting pebbles Walk in wonder, look for the gifts!

1 comment:

  1. Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the web the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people consider worries that they plainly dont know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks
    Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews

    ReplyDelete